Scaling and Polishing
What are teeth scaling and polishing?
Gum disease, also known as gingivitis, affects almost every Singaporean today. Plaque and tartar build up in areas that you cannot clean properly. This leads to bleeding gums and pain. If gingivitis is not addressed, it can lead to more severe problems like bone loss, shaky teeth, and extractions.
Biannual teeth cleaning or scaling and polishing appointments help remove deposits like stubborn bacteria, persistent tartar, and plaque in those hard-to-reach areas. The gradual removal of these deposits through regular scaling and polishing sessions can help reduce your risk of gingivitis.
Even if you are at low risk of developing gum disease, you should still have your teeth cleaned regularly to prevent periodontitis (severe gum disease). Thus, we recommend scheduling routine check-ups with a dentist.
Clean teeth – better health
Improve your oral and overall health
Like other areas of our body, our mouth is teeming with bacteria. Fortunately, most of these bacteria are harmless, although some can cause diseases. This is why it is vital for you to maintain good oral health care to keep these harmful bacteria under control. Lack of proper oral hygiene can cause oral infections, such as tooth decay and gum disease.
Remember, taking care of your oral health is also an investment in your overall health.
In addition to maintaining a healthy diet and brushing and flossing your teeth frequently, you should schedule regular scaling and polishing sessions with your dentist. Let us share the benefits of doing so:
- Get rid of bad breath: Tartar build-up is one of the leading causes of bad breath. Scaling and polishing can eliminate deposits of tartar at the source and allow you to have fresh breath again!
- Enjoy brighter and healthier teeth: Tartar build-up can cause your teeth to have a yellowish hue. Professional scaling and polishing can help remove the hardened calculus and eliminate these surface stains, leading to brighter and healthier teeth.
- Improve gum health: Tartar contains infection-causing bacteria that can lead to gum diseases. Scaling and polishing your teeth regularly helps eradicate these bacteria, lowering your risk of gum disease.
- Protect your general health: Keeping your teeth clean is also beneficial for your overall health, as gum disease is linked to several health conditions like diabetes and heart disease. Scaling and polishing your teeth regularly minimises your risk of gum disease, thereby reducing your risk of contracting these serious illnesses.
Your comfort is our priority
We know that your scaling and polishing appointment can be uncomfortable at times, but we reassure our gentle dentists have your comfort as their priority. We provide blankets, music, and regular rest intervals in between the sessions.
Our scaling and polish include the following:
- Dental examination to look for any signs of bleeding, inflammation or build up of bacteria around the teeth and gums.
- Scaling & polishing to remove bacteria build up and tartar
- Oral hygiene advice to help you achieve better oral health and prevent future disease
How can you improve your teeth?
A good daily dental hygiene routine is important to prevent gingivitis. Follow these simple instructions below to maintain healthy gums and teeth:
- Brush your teeth twice a day, morning and night, concentrating on the areas where your gums meet your teeth.
- Use an electric toothbrush for enhanced cleaning
- Floss daily between the teeth to prevent ”flossing cavities” in between the teeth
- Use a fluoridated mouthwash after brushing and flossing
- Use a tongue scraper to remove any odour causing bacteria on your tongue for a fresher breath
- Visit us regularly for regular teeth cleaning to remove bacteria and tartar from hard-to-reach areas.